September 2014: great month for live music…not the best month for new shit hitting my iPod. Hopscotch was a lot of fun (War on Drugs, Spoon, St. Vincent, De La Soul, the Tills, Last Year’s Men, Spider Bags, Flesh Wounds, Phosphorescent) and I also got to see War on Drugs (again), Dam-Funk, King Khan & BBQ Show, and the Black Lips. All that, and I missed the Wand/Ty Segall show due to illness, and Apache Dropout due to being old and not wanting to be out late on a weeknight.
As for the recorded stuff, here were the albums I enjoyed:
- Ty Segall – Manipulator: Took me a couple of listens to get into it as it leans a lot more “classic rock” sounding than “face-shredding garage mayhem” sounding.
- Apache Dropout – Heavy Window: Not quite face-shredding…more deranged garage mayhem.
- The-Dream – Royalty – The Prequel: Your favorite R&B singer’s favorite R&B singer.
On to the mix:
1) Ty Segall – Tall Man Skinny Lady
2) Allah-Las – Had It All
3) Ty Segall – Feel
4) Apache Dropout – Left the Nest
5) Tommy McCook – The Right Track
6) Leroy Smart – Pride and Ambition
7) Armand Hammer – CRWNS
8) Dilated Peoples – The Dark Room (feat. Vince Staples)
9) Common – Speak My Piece
10) Declaime – Cops Ain’t Ishh
11) Ghetto Ghouls – My Hands
12) Plague Vendor – Black Sap Scriptures
13) Ty Segall – The Connection Man
14) Ghetto Ghouls – Simple C
15) Apache Dropout – Movie Magic
16) Busta Rhymes – Calm Down
17) Cam’ron – Sweetest (Feat. Rod Rhaspy)
18) Young Thug, A$AP Ferg & Freddie Gibbs – Old English
19) BeatKing – Too Much Lean 2014
20) The-Dream – Duet
21) DaM-FunK – R I D E
22) The-Dream – Outkast
23) Common – Rewind That