July and August of 2014 provided me with a summer to forget, from a personal standpoint, but was fairly memorable musically, with several good releases. Here are the albums that will cause me to think back to that boring, uneventful summer of 2014:
- Parquet Courts – Sunbathing Animal: If I were new to Parquet Courts, I’d start with Light Up Gold, but this is a great album, too.
- Hamilton Leithauser – Black Hours: The Walkmen frontman’s first solo album doesn’t stray too far from the sound of the band that made him famous, but strays enough that it took a bit for this one to grow on me.
- Tijuana Panthers – Wayne Interest: Rock-solid garage rock album. Dare I say, garage-rock-solid?
- Total Control – Typical System: Might seem a bit unfocused on first listen, but is probably my favorite of this bunch. Best description I can think of is a slightly less-strange version of Liars.
On to the mix:
1) The Fresh & Onlys – Animal of One
2) Peter Matthew Bauer – You Are the Chapel
3) Hamilton Leithauser – I Don’t Need Anyone
4) Lee Fields – Stone Angel
5) Your Old Droog – Droog’s Anthem
6) Price Stylez – This Thing of Ours
7) Protoje – Who Knows (feat. Chronixx)
8) Mavado – Never Believe You
9) Popcaan – The System <= jam of the summer, btw
10) Popcaan – Everything Nice
11) Jeremih ft YG – Dont Tell Em
12) Ab-Soul – Tree of Life
13) Smoke DZA – Ghost Of Dipset (feat. Cam’ron)
14) Slim Thug – Off the Corner Remix (ft. Meek Mill & Rick Ross)
15) G-Side – Dead Fresh (feat. Kristmas & Grilly)
16) Meyhem Lauren – Honey Champagne Sorbet
17) White Fence – Paranoid Bait
18) Total Control – Expensive Dog
19) Tijuana Panthers – Dark Matter
20) Parquet Courts – Black and White
21) Tijuana Panthers – Fired