Later than normal this month. But that’s what happens when you move during the busiest month of work. The less said the better…let’s just move on to the music:
- El-P – Cancer for Cure: I never was into Co Flow or Fantastic Damage. But ever since I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead, I’ve been all about El-P. He just keeps getting better.
- Spiritualized – Sweet Heart Sweet Light: This album couldn’t sound much more different than the one above it, but I bet both dudes have pretty similar world views.
On to the mix:
1) Chief Keef – I Don’t Like (ft Lil Reese)
2012’s “Hard in the Paint”.
2) French Montana – Ballin (ft. Rick Ross, Charlie Hustle)
Beat huge like Rozay’s belly.
3) KD – Crown Me
Alabama’s most underrated.
4) Killa Kyleon & Mouse On Tha Track – Carmelo
Speaking of “Hard in the Paint”…
5) Meyhem Lauren – Special Effects (f. Himanshu and Action Bronson)
J-Zone:Huggy Bear as Action Bronson:Meyhem Lauren
6) French Montana – Everywhere We Go (ft. Wale)
Why’s it so fun to sing along to French Montana choruses?
7) Sleigh Bells – Leader Of The Pack
The tough part about being Sleigh Bells is that when you create such a unique sound, it doesn’t sound quite as cool the second time around.
8) M.I.A. – Bad Girls
She’s become pretty loathesome, but the song is still pretty undeniable.
9) Usher – Climax (Jr Blender Reggae Remix)
The R&B song of the year is now also officially the R&B song of the summer.
10) Shirley Nanette – Sometimes
Reminds me of something that Gil Scott Heron would sing.
11) Bloodshot Bill – Crazy Party
I think you need to catch Bloodshot Bill live to really appreciate his talents (and odd noises).
12) Alabama Shakes – Heartbreaker
I’m not too cool to like something that gets NPR-hype.
13) Spiritualized – Mary
I loved this quote from the Pitchfork review of Sweet Heart Sweet Light: “I want to make music that catches all the glory and beauty and magnificence, but also the intimacy and fragility, all within the space of the same 10 seconds.”
14) Gentleman Jesse – Careful What You Wish For
Did you wish for a really good indie-pop song?
15) Lotus Plaza – White Galactic One
I thought Lotus Plaza was pretty good when I saw them open for Disappears. Their album’s pretty good too…definitely a grower.
16) Aesop Rock – Zero Dark Thirty
I’m always excited for new Aesop Rock, but really it seems wrong to get Aesop songs in the summer. This is winter music.
17) El-P – Tougher Colder Killer (ft. Killer Mike & Despot)
I really could have just made this month’s mix nothing but songs from Cancer for Cure since every song on that album is better than all the non-El-P songs on this mix. That’s only slight hyperbole.
18) A$AP Rocky – Goldie (prod. Hit-Boy)
19) Gangrene – Fly Brothers
Goddamn, Oh No and Alchemist keep pumping out new shit. Hip-hop’s best garage rock duo.
20) Ty Segall & White Fence – I Am Not a Game
The best song from the two guys who put on the best show I went to last month.
21) The Feeling of Love – I Could Be Better Than You But I Don’t Wanna Change
As if I needed more garage rock-goodness in my life. I know nothing about these guys other than that they put out a split single with Ty Segall, and it’s very very good.
22) The Flaming Lips – That Ain’t My Trip (featuring Jim James of My Morning Jacket)
Did I hear that right? “You always want to shave my balls, that ain’t my trip”?