So, I decided to do a March mix after all. Turns out I didn’t end up going to Nicaragua. Bought a house instead. Here’s what I was listening to as I signed papers and wrote checks:
- Mind Spiders – Meltdown: Do you like your garage rock a little bit creepy?
- Disappears – Pre-Language: Come to think of it, this shit’s kind of menacing, too. I need to lighten up.
Honorable mention goes to Gucci Mane.
On to the mix:
1) Radiohead – The Daily Mail
Did you know that Radiohead has a guitar player? After King of Limbs, I assumed they had just gotten rid of him. He makes a brief, but welcome re-appearance on this song.
3) Action Bronson – Bird On A Wire (Feat. Riff Raff)
I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG SO FUCKING MUCH
4) DaVinci, Dieselino, Squadda Bambino – Top Shelf
My latest top shelf obsession
5) Usher – Climax (Prod. by Diplo)
R&B singers who don’t beat the shit out of women deserve more attention/acclaim than those who do.
6) SWV – Rain (Kid Icarus Bmore Remix)
The Wire needed more club music. Fuck that “Down in the Hole” song.
7) ETC!ETC! – Temblando
9) Union – Preset Mars feat. Roc Marciano
Roc Marci even makes this smooth glittery shit sound grimy.
10) ANTWON – HELICOPTER (PROD. BY WALSH)
11) Killer Mike – Big Beast (Bun B, Trouble & T.I.)
I cannot wait to hear the rest of this album.
12) A.Dd+ – Sh*t Got Crazy
Crazy > Cray
14) Masta Killa – D.T.D. (ft. Raekwon & Ghostface Killah)
I didn’t realize the Wu killed that Otis sample long before Kanye and Jay.
15) Jackie Chain – Ridin In Da Fo Do (Produced by Block Beataz)
I need to make a mix of the best ridin’ music.
16) G-Side – Land In The Sky
How many amazing G-Side songs didn’t make it onto iSLAND? My lord.
17) Gucci Mane – Okay With Me (Feat. 2 Chainz)
2 Chainz is quickly becoming a favorite: “shawty got them crab legs, I got that Old Bay with me”
18) Bonde do Role – Bicha Velha
Anyone else care to join me in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup?
19) Mind Spiders – Wait For Us
I think it’s about time for these guys to come through Raleigh for a show already.
21) The Men – Open Your Heart
The perfect soundtrack to crushing PBRs.
22) Fort Lean – Sunsick
These guys do a pretty good White Rabbits impression.