This was a pretty lame month music-wise. Isn’t that how February always goes though? It’s not like there won’t be 40-some albums that I really enjoy before the year’s over. But in February 2012, the only one I really liked was:
- Gangrene – Vodka & Ayahuasca: If you liked the first one, you’ll like the follow-up. And even if you didn’t like the first one, you’ve gotta appreciate the promo video.
On to the mix:
1) Rick Ross (ft. 2 Chainz & Wale) – F*ck Em
My new entry music for my next boxing match.
2) Big Cov (ft. KD) – Get Her Mind
I don’t know how February was where you’re from, but in NC, it was 70 and sunny pretty much all month. Gotta have some drivin’ around music.
3) T.I. (Feat. Pimp C & Too Short) – Pimp
Sounds exactly like you’d want a song featuring Pimp C and Too Short to sound like. If I could’ve just made the entire February Mix an 80-minute loop of Pimp C’s verse, I would have.
4) Hypnotic Brass Ensemble – Spottie
If you know me, you know I love a great horn line. And “Spottieottiedopaliscious” has a horn line that gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it.
5) Blue Jays – What Do You Want?
It it it it it it it it it it it it it ain’t hard to tell why I picked this song. (sorry)
8) Gangrene – Odds Cracked
Scratching M.O.P. samples on a hook is always a good look.
9) ScHoolboy Q (Feat. A$AP Rocky) – Hands On The Wheel
I think the reason I don’t love ScHoolboy Q’s Habits & Contradictions is that the hooks aren’t great. See above. But the rest of this song is strong enough for me to still like it.
10) Open Mike Eagle – Nightmares
This song reminds of when rappers weren’t afraid to be original.
11) Starlito – Believe it or Not
Ever wanted to see a video where a rapper cleans his soap?
Also, Starlito > Frank Ocean
12) Nikkiya – Sailing
Special cat call goes out to the suckers at the doughnut shop. Thanks for serving it to me hot, dark, and no caffeine.
13) Etta James – I’d Rather Go Blind
We lost one of the all-time greatest voices back in January.
14) Lee Fields – Moonlight Mile
This one’s for my buddy Pablo.
15) Homeboy Sandman – Sweet Emotion (Orchard Beach)
2 Hungry Bros channeled their inner Edan on this beat.
16) iNDEED – Bl4cK T34rS
If you’re going to re-interpret a classic, it better be dope. This is dope.
18) Azari & III – Manic (Radio Edit)
1 part Prince, 1 part “White Pony”, stir vigorously.
19) Escort – Love In Indigo
I like how the piano/bassline gives it a bit of heft.
20) PRGz – Hello World (feat. Joi Tiffany)
Pistols in Paradise coming soon.
22) Total Control – One More Tonight
You know there has to be at least one garage rock song on every Monthly Mix.
A programming note: there will not be a March Mix, as a) we’re already about a quarter way through the month, b) I’m spending another quarter of the month in Nicaragua, and c) I’m hoping to spend my headphone time brushing up on my Spanish. I’ll come back with a double-dose at the end of April.