It’s been a long time. I shouldn’t have left you.
Sorry. Sometimes doing things gets in the way of not doing things. I won’t bore you with a recap of my life, but I will say that those of you who failed to make it to Raleigh for the Hopscotch Music Festival failed at September. So much fun.
So what albums hit me these past two months?
- Girls – Father, Son, Holy Ghost
- The War on Drugs – Slave Ambient
- Mikal Cronin – Mikal Cronin
- Toro Y Moi – Freaking Out EP
Lots of albums that were pretty good, but not great. Honorable mentions to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Curren$y, Smoke DZA, Median, J-Live, and Jack Oblivian.
On to your double-strength mix:
1) Mr. Muthafuckin’ eXquire – Huzzah!
“What’s your gimmick? I said ‘goin in'”
2) Nickel Plated – Raped & Smothered (Ft. Action Bronson)
Bronsolini sounds good over some more ominous head-knock shit. Sounds like he’s toned down the GFK and found his own voice.
3) Roc Marciano – My Persona
Speaking of head-knock shit, here’s the reigning king.
4) El-P – Drones Over BKLYN
Everyone praises El for his production (deserved), but don’t forget dude can rap his ass off.
5) Wooden Shjips – Lazy Bones
Wooohhh…those guitars are unrelenting. This is the type of song that has you all the sudden doing 90 down the highway without realizing it.
6) Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin – Pop Song
And this is the type of song that has you crushing a six-pack in a 2-minute span without realizing it.
7) Gross Ghost – Devious
How many good bands can you fit into one city (Raleigh)?
9) Male Bonding – Mysteries Complete
I really liked the first Male Bonding album better. This new one teeters on the edge of what I think Blink 182 probably sounded like.
10) Ty Segall – Bullet Proof Nothing
I love that these punk dudes have incredible singles that I knew nothing about.
11) Apache Dropout – Nothing In My Hand
A band who was at Hopscotch who I didn’t get to see, but who I wish I had gotten to see.
12) Michael Kiwanuka – I Need Your Company
My favorite discovery of the month(s). A new soul singer from England on that Charles Bradley/Lee Fields tip.
13) Antibalas – Rat Race
My theme music for the month(s). Shouts to those at Occupy Raleigh and the worldwide Occupy movement.
14) Blu – Ronald Morgan (ft. Edan)
Normally, Blu rapping over an old Madlib beat probably wouldn’t make it to a mix. But the reclusive Edan rapping over an old Madlib beat…that’s automatic! I remain forever waiting for Edan’s follow-up to Beauty and the Beat.
15) Danny Brown – DNA
I like this song, but, let’s be honest, I can’t really relate to it. If I were honestly to remake this song about my family influences, it’d go “It’s in my DNA, cause my pops like to do crosswords the same way.”
19) Dam Funk – Foerever
Real talk, lots of the stuff Dam Funk has been dropping recently has sounded pretty half-baked. This song has restored my faith.
21) Aaliyah – Rock the Boat (Dam-Funk Remix)
Dam should remix the entire catalog of every 90s R&B singer.
22) Toro Y Moi – I Can Get Love
Oh, hey…these guys were at Hopscotch and it was fun as shit (much more fun than at Pitchfork since their music is made for clubs at night rather than mid-afternoon in a scorching-hot city park).
23) Peedi Crack – Toyfriend
If Peedi made an entire album with Diplo and Booman and DJ Sega, I’d be a happy man.
24) Maluca and The Partysquad – Lola (Ging Danga)
MIA is dead, long live Maluca.
25) Main Attrakionz – U.G.K. f/ A$AP Rocky
I’m starting to come around to whatever label has been put on this sub-genre/scene.
26) Waka Flocka – Round Of Applause
Waka does his own Main Attrakionz impression here.
27) Buddy – Awesome Awesome
The newest Neptunes protege.
28) Roach Gigz – F A Chorus
Rappitty rappitty rap.
29) Boss Hogg Outlawz – Shut Yo Hood Down (Le$, Dre Day, Slim Thug)
Am I the only guy still checking for these guys? The only Houston guys I ever see getting blog-love are Z-Ro and Killa Kyleon. I guess Slim Thug is no longer blog-cool, even though he keeps putting out good music.
30) Smoke DZA – Notorious Feat. Fiend, & Big Sant
I like Smoke DZA, but Fiend (as he’s been known to do) steals it. I will have Fiend singing on the hook on every song on my debut album.
31) Big K.R.I.T. – Money On The Floor (feat. 2 Chainz, 8Ball & MJG)
I don’t know why Tity Boi changed his name to the much less exciting 2 Chainz.
32) Black Trump – Sippin (ft. Z-Ro & Ronnie Spencer)
Fuck it, I’ll drink some syrup with anyone who can get me some, as long as I get to provide the soundtrack.
33) S.L.A.S.H. – Hurry Up Wait
Hadn’t heard much from the Slow Motion crew since January. Oh yeah, their beats are still incredible.
34) G-Side – Gettin It (ft Stalley & Joi Tiffany)
Island drops 11/11.
35) The War on Drugs – It’s Your Destiny
For the most part, listening to music is something I do while doing other things (reading, working, chores, etc.). War on Drugs make me want to put on the headphones and do nothing but listen.
36) Wilco – I Might
I’ll forever have trouble separating my enjoyment-level for Wilco’s new album from how much I fucking hated seeing them at the godawful Raleigh Downtown Amphitheatre. That place is horrible.
37) Girls – Vomit
It’s fun watching a very good band become great.
38) Future Islands – Long Flight
These guys played a big part of making Hopscotch awesome. If you’ve never seen Sam Herring stalk the stage, you’ve lived an incomplete life.