August. It was hot. I didn’t go to any shows for the first time in forever. Saving my energy for the Hopscotch Festival this weekend!
Good albums this month:
- Kurt Vile – Smoke Ring for My Halo: Was pleasantly surprised by his show at Pitchfork. Was subsequently pleasantly surprised by his album.
- Gangrene – Greneberg EP: I initially underrated last year’s Gangrene album, but it’s been something I’ve found myself returning to frequently. Add some Roc Marciano to an already winning formula, and you have an extra-winning formula?
1) Kurt Vile – Smoke Ring For My Halo
File under: guys who’ve got sort of a Dylan thing going on, even though I’ve never gotten into Dylan.
2) Booker T. Jones (Featuring Yim Yames) – Progress
I have officially forgiven Jim James for Evil Urges.
3) Theophilus London – No Particular One
Maybe Theophilus should give up rapping and just make retro Caribbean-sounding shit like this?
5) Kendrick Lamar – Rigamortus
Talented up and comer who I hope avoids the pitfalls of somewhat-same-lane-type rappers such as Wale, B.O.B., or Lupe.
6) Kanye West & Jay-Z – Gotta Have It
7) Leo’s Sunshipp – Back for More
A song that sounds like August 1979.
8) Charles Bradley & The Menahan Street Band – Stay Away
I never would have realized this was a Nirvana cover if I hadn’t read it on the internets.
9) The Cool Kids – Summer Jam (ft. Maxine Ashley)
A song that sounds like August 1996.
10) Gangrene – Papercuts
Best described as “understandable smooth shit that murderers move with.”
11) Blu – Lucky
Speaking of smooth shit.
12) Generationals – Green Leaf Black Heart
Something I came across while doing my Hopscotch homework. Cool song, even though it’s probably not enough to get me to their show (i.e., not enough to get me to miss Vivian Girls or Disappears).
14) Boss Hogg Outlawz – Get High (feat. Slim Thug, J-Dawg & Le$)
J-Dawg is one of my favorite rappers nobody talks about, even if he commits the sin of going with the “higher than giraffe pussy” line in this song (I think we’ve all heard that one from about 852 different rappers by now).
16) Pimp C – Gorillaz (feat. Bun B & Da Underdawgz)
The new Pimp C album is so half-assed, they couldn’t even find a half-finished Pimp C verse to paste into this song.
17) Gucci Mane – Brrrr (Supa Cold)
I find it impossible to believe that Gucci Mane didn’t already have a song called “Brrrr.”
18) Kreayshawn – Gucci Gucci
The most divisive song of 2011! I’m thinking I’m pro-“Gucci Gucci” but mostly anti-Kreayshawn.
19) Lil B – Unchain Me
The Based God makes his first appearance on a Monthly Mix, thanks almost entirely to a ridiculous Clams Casino beat.
20) Mavado – Delilah (Diplo Remix)
I can’t think of anything more fun than being Diplo and travelling around the Caribbean.
21) Paul Devro – Cair A Ficha – Original Mix
A song that’s helping me get back into jogging after a slow July.
22) South Rakkas Crew, Gangsta Kid F, D-rakkas – Gangsta Revival – Original Mix
I’ve said it a thousand times, if you like Major Lazer, do yourself a favor and go out and get everything that South Rakkas Crew have ever done.