This shit is late enough (work…travel…blah blah blah), so I’ll keep it short. Albums I liked:
- My Morning Jacket – Circuital: I hated Evil Urges. Glad they’ve returned to form.
- James Pants – James Pants: I like every new James Pants release better than the last one. Either he’s getting better, or I’m just growing used to his weirdness.
- Bosco Delrey – Everybody Wah: Not at all what you’d expect from a Mad Decent release. If Beck were a little more normal and from Memphis, this is what he’d sound like.
- Ty Segall – Goodbye Bread: Dude is one of my absolute favorites. He’s starting to channel some Jack White with his Jay Reatard, and I like it.
- Killer Mike – Pl3dge: Speaking of favorites, can’t complain about the latest album from my favorite rapper.
1) WIN WIN – Interleave (Kingdom Remix)
If the Avalanches were still making music, I’d hope it would sound something like this.
2) Thundercat – For Love I Come
Some say Thundercat is a bassist who hangs out with Flying Lotus. I say he’s the bastard love-child of Wayne Coyne and Meshell Ndegeocello.
3) James Pants – Incantation
Decidedly not pants.
4) Bosco Delrey – Don Haps
Bends-era Radiohead with a Memphis twist.
5) Cloud Control – Meditation Song #2 (Why, Oh Why)
6) Ty Segall – The Floor
Ty Segall’s a great soundtrack for nights when you might end up passing out on the floor.
7) My Morning Jacket – Holdin On To Black Metal
Too much falsetto on Evil Urges. Just enough on Circuital.
8) Beastie Boys – Here’s a Little Something for Ya
Rappers should start turning to these guys for beats.
9) Donwill, Che Grand, Von Pea, King Mez & Skyzoo – Without Hands
Raleigh’s King Mez for the win.
10) Fabolous – Really Tho
“I love my real bitches, fuck them fake hoes, I be askin’ God, ‘why you even make those?'” — the idea of Fabolous kneeling next to his bed at night and asking God why he makes fake hoes never ceases to crack me up.
11) SL Jones – Swervin’ Feat. Trae Tha Truth
With Grind Time Rap Gang member Pill making so much noise, I was just starting to wonder what fellow gang member SL Jones was up to. His 2008 C.O.L.O.R.S. was a pretty decent album. Glad he’s still around.
12) Killer Mike – Ric Flair
13) Bob and Gene – It’s Not What You Know
I love a good, pessimistic soul song about economic injustice.
14) Mayer Hawthorne – A Long Time
“Berry had a record store, started up a studio”
15) The Sea And Cake – Up On The North Shore
New Sea and Cake, just in time for “sitting on the porch at night and drinking wine” season.
16) Seu Jorge & Almaz – Everybody Loves The Sunshine
Speaking of seasonally appropriate songs. A darker take on the Roy Ayers classic.
17) Mayer Hawthorne – Don’t Turn The Lights On
I love how Mayer turns the Chromeo classic into a slow-burning ballad.
18) My Morning Jacket – Slow Slow Tune
Keeping it slow. Reminds me of Smith Westerns’ “Still New” in how the guitar is really the chorus…and how the guitar really slays you.
19) Bosco Delrey – Get Outta Dodge
I’m taking Bosco’s advice and getting outta Dodge a lot this month.
20) Ty Segall – My Head Explodes