But let’s not dwell on that. We’re here for the music. And what was I listening to this month? Well, when I wasn’t going to see some amazing shows (Menomena, the Thermals, Love Language), I was listening to these albums:
- Black Milk – Album of the Year: Probably not going to be my album of the year. But it’s damn good. Drums of the year, definitely.
- Bill Withers – Just As I Am: Earlier this month, I realized that I pretty much loved every Bill Withers song I’d ever heard. Finally got around to finding some of his full albums. This one is a certified soul classic.
Weird mix this month. A lot of R&B (what the?) and hardly any rock:
1) Von Pea (feat. Che Grand and Elucid) – Thanks For Your Children
Elucid should be a household name.
5) Dam Funk – How It Be Between U & Me?
US Surgeon Generals Warning: This song might cause pregnancy.
6) Wiz Khalifa – The Kid Frankie
7) Pimp C (ft. The Gator Main & E-40) – Since the 90s
Does Gator Main always sound exactly like Young Dro, or just on this song?
8) Lil Phat (ft. Bun B & Webbie) – Never Fuck Without a Rubber
Seriously. Don’t do it.
9) Drake (ft. Bun B) – Miss Me (OG Mix)
This song is making it hard for me to keep pretending that I hate Drake.
10) Bill Withers – I’m Her Daddy
Bill should have listened to Lil’ Phat.
11) Tim Cohen – Send No Sign
The horns and the organ are a sign that the song is about to get awesome.
12) Maximum Balloon (ft. Kyp Malone) – Shakedown
1/2 of TV on the Radio makes a song that sounds 100% like a TVOTR song.
13) Bilal – All Matter
So talented…yet so unable to make a great album. Luckily he pulls it together now and then for some great songs.
14) Gucci Mane (ft. Nicki Minaj And Pharrell) – Haterade
Hip-hop’s version of yacht rock. So cheesy, but I don’t care.
15) Ghost Town DJs – My Boo
Heard a DJ play this one at the Hopscotch Festival. Had forgotten its greatness.
17) Mark Ronson And The Business Intl (ft. Rose Elinor Dougall & Andrew Wyatt) – Somebody To Love Me
Afropop disco? I told you it’s a weird month.
18) Teengirl Fantasy – Cheaters
This sounds like the kind of music RJD2 should be making these days.
19) Sammy Bananas – My Body
Sammy Bananas > Johnny Bananas