Another March. Another year older. Another late season flame-out for my Deacs. North Carolina weather alternating daily from terrible to sublime. Here’s what I was listening to:
- Pimp C – Live From the Harris County Jail: I’m ashamed. How did I go so long without knowing that this mixtape existed? The rare mixtape with zero weak tracks.
- The Morning Benders – Big Echo: A big step forward from their “nice little indie-pop album” debut. Big Echo is your new soundtrack to those evenings on the porch, drinking wine and smoking a bowl.
- The Soft Pack – The Soft Pack: These guys hit me in my sweet spot. Straight-ahead rock rock. Good energy, fun to sing along to. Your new soundtrack to driving around on spring days with all your windows down.
- Ted Leo and the Pharmacists – The Brutalist Bricks: Nothing new here, but a much more focused effort than 2007’s Living With the Living.
- Various Artists – Nordy’s February 2010 Mix: Has been a near-permanent resident of my car’s CD player. My monthly mixes are incredible!
Let me know if I missed anything:
1) Busy Signal – Da Style Deh
Too many dancehall songs jock the latest trends in American R&B. I don’t want synths and auto-tune. That’s why Busy Signal’s stripped-down approach stands out and works so well.
2) Maja7th (ft. Freddie Gibbs & Mikkey Halsted) – On My Own
Midwest gangsta music is now > west coast gangsta music.
3) Yelawolf (ft. Prynce Cy-Hi & Pill) – I Wish Remix
Yelawolf is now 3-for-3 in appearing on Monthly Mixes in 2010. What can I do though when he keeps pumping out quality shit like this. “Bitch you ain’t hip-hop!”
6) The Golden Boys – Older Than You
Austin band (who will be playing at Raleigh’s Hopscotch Festival in September) with a song that sounds like something from Reigning Sound’s Love & Curses. I definitely mean that as a compliment.
7) Schooner – Feel Better
Schooner continues to pump out blissfully laid-back country-tinged indy-rock tunes. And Reid Johnson continues to have one of the best voices around.
8) The Morning Benders – Pleasure Sighs
I kept debating whether to put “Pleasure Sighs” or “Mason Jar” on this month’s mix. Both do this great thing where they build up to incredible payoffs around the 3-minute mark.
9) Freeway & Jake One (ft. Raekwon) – One Thing
The Stimulus Package should have been much better than it was. Unfortunately, not all of Jake One’s beats were up to the quality shown here.
10) Thee Tom Hardy (ft. Murs) – I’m the Ooh Child
Thee Tom Hardy just eclipsed Joe Scudda to take the title of best white rapper from Durham. #jumpingalowbar
11) Fat Joe (ft. Young Jeezy) – Slow Down
Fat Joe just smacked me upside the head with my new motherfucking jam! FAT JOE!!!?!?? Wonders never cease. Scoop DeVille is the man responsible for the beat…remember the name.
12) Japandroids – Art Czars
Sad I missed their show in Charlotte, but glad to be getting some new music from these guys.
13) The Soft Pack – Pull Out
An anthem for California secession…not an anthem for high-risk birth control.
16) The Morning Benders – All Day Daylight
When you can’t think of anything to say about a song, post a picture:
18) Pimp C – So Excited
My efforts to make this my first dance song for my wedding were shot down in about 0.02 seconds.
19) Killa Kyleon (ft. Z-Ro) – Swang Real Wide
A new Houston classic. This shit (and Houston hip-hop in general) sounds so great once the weather starts to get nice. (courtesy of MAYNHOLUP! at Cocaine Blunts).
21) Pimp C – Hustler
Possibly the greatest Pimp C track of all time. That Isaac Hayes sample is the perfect backdrop for Pimp C’s gems. Dude will forever be missed.