What an incredible month for music. Here’s what I was listening to while I was working way too much and painting my house.
- Killer Mike – R.A.P. Music: The best hip-hop album in a very very long time. Well, at least the best since Cancer 4 Cure.
- The Walkmen – Heaven: They just keep making beautiful music.
- The Feeling of Love – Dissolve Me: Last month, I posted a song by The Feeling of Love, admitting that I knew nothing about them. This month, I learned about them, and they are French and very good.
- Oddisee – People Hear What They See: For those who think the last great hip-hop album was “Midnight Marauders”.
- Liars – WIXIW: So psyched that these weirdos will be at Hopscotch.
- Japandroids – Celebration Rock: If you liked Post-Nothing (like you’re supposed to), then you’ll love Celebration Rock.
- Moonhearts – Moonhearts: Mikal Cronin’s 2010 shit.
- Curren$y – The Stoned Immaculate: Hasn’t seemed to generate much buzz. Maybe people are just getting overwhelmed with the sheer volume of Curren$y releases. But the Stoned Immaculate stands toe-to-toe with both the Pilot Talk releases.
On to the mix:
1) Oddisee – Think Of Things
Dude deserves at least a mention in your next “best producer on the mic” debate.
2) Fluent – Wild and Free (feat. Median & Kaze)
You know it’s NC hip-hop when someone says “like a horse on the beach, boy, wild and free.”
3) SL Jones – S.L.A.B.
SL Jones gets his A$AP Rocky on over this incredibly lush DJ Burn One beat.
4) Curren$y – Chasin’ Papers (Feat. Pharrell)
Man, I had forgotten how happy it makes me to hear Pharrell on the hook like it’s 2002 or something.
5) Oddisee – Ready To Rock
I’m a sucker for that double-time shit over production best described as “lush”.
6) Japandroids – The House That Heaven Built
Elements of a typeically great Japandroids song:
- fist-pumping bass drum: check
- energetic tempo: check
- loud guitars: check
- triumphantly awesome sing-along chorus: check plus
7) Moonhearts – Love Is Gone
This is from 2010, but it’s new to me (and probably new to you).
8) The Feeling of Love – You’re Better Than a Dog Detective
The obvious winner for “best song title”.
9) Liars – Flood To Flood
The sound of simmering paranoia.
11) The Feeling Of Love – Dissolve Me
That fuzzy organ makes me happy.
12) Liars – Brats
I don’t know what this song is about, but I like to pretend it’s about delicious German sausages.
13) Baauer – Yaow!
Baauer needs to remove the vocal samples, and send this beat over to Peedi Crakk.
14) Oh No – Whoop Ass feat. Sticky Fingaz
15) Killer Mike – Jo Jos Chillin
The Greatest Rapper Alive shows he’s got his story telling game on point.
16) Troy Ave – Cokeamania
Some NY street shit.
17) Cousin Fik – Knocka Nigga Down (Prod. by Thizzy Monster)
Fik clearly has fun being better at rapping than pretty much everyone else.
18) Killer Mike – Go
Killer Mike has fun being better at rapping than absolutely everyone else.
19) Curren$y – Armoire (Feat. Young Roddy & Trademark)
Reminds me of some old King Geedorah shit.
20) Ab-Soul – The Book Of Soul
Some true blues music. I’ve gotta admit, “my allergies acted up a bit” first time I listened to this one.
21) The Walkmen – No One Ever Sleeps
The perfect lullaby.
22) Moonhearts – Shine
I like this song (sorry, getting tired of writing shit).
23) The Walkmen – The Witch
This song is very good, too.